Windows miscellenous guides
The following section contains some documentation related to elements that, although are not directly related to HyperCX, might be needed to properly use HyperCX in some cases.
SSH Windows putty
In order to connecto to Linux VMs, SSH is the recommended way. From Linux this is easy to accomplish so it is not explained. From Windows you will most likely be using putty. If this is the case you should:
Generate ssh2-RSA using puttygen.
Save the public and private keys in a folder.(Don’t use the public key just yet notepad might not encode it correctly)
Copy the public key directly from puttygen(this step is crucial) including comments and paste the key on your account settings.
- For future references load the private key directly on puttygen and then copy the public key like we did in step 3.
Puttygen is a key generator that comes packaged with Putty for windows.
Note: If you have selected a public network adapter this process is not necessary
Connect to OpenVPN Windows
For security reasons, Virtalus provides a VPN to connect to any HyperCX cluster built off-prem. In some cases, using this VPN is not optional, but mandatory. On Linux you should use the OpenVPN client that can be found on your distro's repositories. If you are using Windows, you should:
- Download the official OpenVPN Client
- Run the setup with administrator privileges and follow the installation steps. Confirm the Windows security messages.
- Download the configuration file sent to you by Virtalus team. Copy all files to the OpenVPN configuration folder (by default C:/Program Files/OpenVPN/config/) and confirm the Windows security messages.
- Click with right on the OpenVPN desktop icon, click on "Settings" and go to the tab "Compatibility". Check "Run the program as administrator".
- Start OpenVPN with administrator privileges and click with right on the OpenVPN tray icon, select your desired VPN config and click on "Connect".
- Once the connection has been successfully established, the OpenVPN icon turns green. You can manage your VPN connection with OpenVPN.